Emergency Drought Relief – some practical tips

Welcomed by many, criticised by others, the reality is that some government relief is available for many of our farmers affected by drought. Many ag providers, including YBM, are offering face-to-face assistance with claims, so be sure to access this if you need it.

Here are some practical tips to get you on your way:

  • Transport subsidies are available to primary producers who have less than $1 million gross off-farm assets (excluding superannuation in registered funds) and includes owner carriers, based on truck size.
  • Required paper work includes LLS rates notices and council rates notices, in addition to tax invoices for transport.
  • Owner carriers can use log book records, vendor declarations or invoices showing proof of sale/purchase, and will need copies of truck registration papers.
  • Further information required for transport subsidies includes pick-up/delivery addresses and kilometres travelled, so be sure to chase these up from transport providers if necessary.
  • In addition to transport subsidies, some fees and charges, such as LLS rates, will also be waived.  Most will happen automatically, but to avoid registration costs of Class 1 agricultural vehicles, you must apply through Service NSW at the time of registration renewal.
  • Farm asset testing for the Farm Household Allowance has increased to $5 million as of 1 September 2018, potentially opening eligibility to a much wider group.  The application process is still extensive, but assistance is available so please shout out.

For further information, please contact one of our offices.  Alternatively a variety of links and resources are accessible via the Agriculture page on our website.

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.